Spring Sports Preview
As we begin a new calendar year, my thoughts turn to gratitude. After returning from a peaceful Christmas break, we are off and running with school and sports. I have been reminded over the
past few weeks that we don't stop and take time to express "thank you" nearly enough. This is my 4th year at TCA and there are many who faithfully serve our school in various roles that have made my experience at TCA a positive one.
- THANK YOU to our parents: For your time and effort "volunteering" to work gate and concessions. For the team meals you provide and the support you give our teams from the bleachers.
- THANK YOU to our coaches: I appreciate the love and care you demonstrate to our players. I am encouraged when I see your commitment to this school and to our athletes.
- THANK YOU to our faculty/staff/administration: Every person I work with is a blessing. There is a spirit of love and cooperation that I find unique and inspiring. Thank you for your dedication you give on a daily basis.
- THANK YOU to our Booster Club: The amount of energy you give our school/athletes is unparalleled. You have provided buses, meals, weight room equipment, sports equipment and uniforms. Most of the time, it is behind the scenes with no public recognition. Needless to say, we would not be where we are without you.
Our winter sports are winding down successful seasons. Although the boys basketball team missed the playoffs this year, they demonstrated tremendous heart and effort. Under the leadership of first-year head coach, Dayton Sheridan, our team ended the year with a 8-11 record. On the girls side, Head Coach Matt Dowling has taken his team to the playoffs for the third year in a row. They are currently tied for second place in the district. Please check the website for playoff schedule.
The highlight of our winter sports was our swim team! A year ago, our swim team consisted of just two swimmers. This year, we had 8 swimmers and all 8 swimmers qualified for State in 10 events.
At the TAPPS Division III State Championship last Wednesday, Payton Alberts took home Gold in the 50 yard freestyle and set a new TAPPS Division III State Record. She was also recognized as the top girl swimmer in the North Region.
The girls team of Payton Alberts, Kayla DeNeefe, Jordan Diomede and Madison Harless finished 9th in the 200 yard freestyle relay and also finished 9th out of 33 teams in the team standings.
The boys team of Cole Alberts, Parker Givens, Joel Jeffers and Jack Mendoza finished 12th in the 200 yard freestyle relay and also finished 14th out of 30 teams in the team standings.
Individual results are as follows:
- Payton Alberts got 1st place and broke a TAPPS State Record in the 50 yard freestyle. She also placed 4th in the 100 yard breaststroke.
- Madison Harless got 4th in the 100 yard backstroke and 8th in the 100 yard freestyle.
- Joel Jeffers got 13th in the 50 yard freestyle and 14th in the 100 yard freestyle.
- Jack Mendoza got 5th in the 100 yard backstroke and 6th in the 200 yard IM.
Spring is our busiest season of the year! We field 7 Varsity sports (Clay Target, Tennis, Golf, Boys Track, Girls Track, Softball and Baseball) and numerous sub-varsity teams (JH and Junior High). If you get a chance, check the website for game schedules and come out and support our teams.
It is a great time to be a TCA EAGLE!