2018 Spring Sports Wrap-Up
Every year, our governing body TAPPS (Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools) hands out the Henderson Cup. This cup represents the best overall athletic program in each classification. After the winter sports session, we were ranked 5th. With the success of our spring sports, I am certain we will move up in the rankings. It’s been an exciting spring season for TCA athletics. All 6 of the high school spring sports teams have experienced a high level of success.
This year, we were able to field a golf team. Three members of the team were able to able to advance past the district qualifier and compete at state. State qualifiers were sophomore Zach Godbey, junior Hanna Hordynski & freshman Emma Bayles.
The tennis team played in a tough district and were able to advance two singles players to State: junior Hannah Bell and senior Zach Givens.
The TCA Clay Target team had another successful year. At the State meet last weekend the following athletes received awards:
- Jack Sims won third place in the JV in a 3 way shoot-off.
- The squad of Nash Carlson, Cash Hicks and McKenna Kelley won 3rd place in the Intermediate/Entry skeet squad award.
- McKenna Kelley won 3rd place in the Intermediate/Entry Ladies division.
- Merril Stanfield won 2nd place in the Intermediate/Advanced Ladies division.
- Max Skogsberg won 2nd place in the Intermediate/Entry division.
- Wes Roddie won 3rd place in the Intermediate/Advanced division.
- Jack Sims won 3rd place in the JV division.
- Merril Stanfield won 3rd place in the Intermediate/Advanced Ladies division.
- Katelyn M. won 2nd place in the JV Ladies division.
Our Eagle baseball team took 2nd in a tough district and finished their season last Friday in the Area game against a very talented and hard hitting El Paso Faith team.
The Lady Eagles softball team battled it out for the final district playoff spot. This is the first time in recent history the team has made the playoffs in TAPPS. They played a very difficult non-district schedule to get them ready for the playoffs. They will play their bi-district playoff game tonight versus Dallas Lakehill Prep.
Both the boys and girls track programs have excelled at District, Regionals and State this year. Our boys finished 1st and our girls finished 2nd at District. Our boys finished 3rd and our girls finished 4th at Regionals. At State, the boys placed 2nd and the girls placed 13th overall.
Many of our individuals and relays placed in the top 5 in state. They are:
- 100 Meter Dash - Riley Ownby, 4th place
- 4x100m relay team of Marlie Daniels, Lauren Young, Jordan Diomede & Riley Ownby finished in 5th place.
- 4x200m relay team of Erin Kalbfleisch, Lauren Young, Jordan Diomede & Riley Ownby finished in 6th place.
- Triple Jump 3A - Cody Athey, 4th place
- 100 Meter Dash 3A - Josh Schardt, 3rd place
- 200 Meter Dash 3A - Garrett Green, 3rd place
- 400 Meter Dash 3A - Garrett Green, 1st place
- 4x100m relay team of Cody Athey, Caleb Chesney, Preston Gist & Josh Schardt finished in 2nd place.
- 4x200m relay team of Cody Athey, Caleb Chesney, Preston Gist & Josh Schardt finished in 1st place.
- 4x400m relay team of Malen Baldridge, Max Perales, Mason Hornick & Garrett Green finished in 1st place.
Although our success on the field is something to be proud of; more important than that is the way our athletes and coaches have competed. They have represented our school and our Savior in way that a Christian Athlete should.
I look forward to many more athletic accomplishments in coming years!