Turkey in the Ground 2019
Schedule for Thursday and Friday
Thursday, November 21
- 8:15 Seniors go to their chosen duty
- Kitchen to clean turkeys
- Barber gym to set up
- Help littles with digging
- 3:00- 4:30 - Chili delivered to Barber Gym. Judged Chili must arrive by 3:30! No exceptions.
- 4:30 - Chili judged
- 5:00 - Fire started - next to Eagle Gym
- 5:30 - Chili Supper opens and activities start - Barber and Eagle gyms
- 6:45 - Chili Awards announced
- 7:30 - Silent Auction ends
- 7:45 - Turkey wrapping demo in Kitchen
- 8:30-9:00 - Dirty Dozen delivered to fire and buried
- 10:00 - Friday overnight into the morning - Senior boys and dads on fire watch
Friday, November 22
- 8:15 - Seniors to the kitchen to debone turkeys
- 8:45 - Seniors to fire to help unwrap turkeys and take to the kitchen
- 9:00 - Elementary students and staff come to pit for turkey removal (remove 6)
- 9:15 - Secondary students and staff come to pit for turkey removal (remove 6)
- 10:15 - Juniors dismissed to help serve lunch (report to catering area for instructions)
- 10:45 - Freshman dismissed to eat lunch early then have cleaning duty
- Thanksgiving Lunch by grade:*
- 10:45 PK & K
- 10:55 1st, 2nd, & 3rd
- 11:05 4th & 5th
- 11:15 Middle School
- 11:30 High School
*Older students may be dismissed at the same time as younger siblings to eat with their family. Once dismissed from class, parents are responsible for their students.
Turkey in the Ground? You did say “turkey” didn’t you? In the ground? Seriously?
TURKEY IN THE GROUND 101
The Thursday before Thanksgiving Break (that’s November 21 this year) is affectionately referred to as “Digging Day” here at TCA. Throughout that day, students in all grades work in shifts to dig a large pit in the lot beside Eagle Gym. After school dismisses, a bonfire is built and set aflame in the pit. That evening, Barber Gym will be the site of a silent auction featuring gift baskets, class projects, and other items as well as the TCA Athletic Booster Club’s annual Chili Cook-Off and Supper. This is the booster club’s largest fundraiser of the year, and the evening provides tremendous support for Eagle athletics, including the “Soaring Eagle” scholarships awarded at the spring athletic banquet. Prizes are awarded in adult and student categories!
Throughout the evening, the TCA junior class will offer a variety activities in and around Eagle Gym, including fun inflatables for kids of all ages. The evening ends with the preparation of the Dirty Dozen (turkeys) and the placing of these soon-to-be delicious birds in the bonfire. You just have to see it to believe it!
On Friday morning, TCA students gather at the pit for the removal of the turkeys and just a little while later, students will be dismissed to join their parents for a delicious Thanksgiving lunch in Barber Gym courtesy of the TCA Parent-Teacher Fellowship. After lunch, families are free to leave and enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday.
This description of Turkey in the Ground is being painted with very broad strokes, and much more detailed information will come your way soon (including a full schedule in an early November Eagle Newsletter).